Solutions Architect / Product Manager
October 2018 – October 2019, Remote
I was hired by Imposium, a creative agency, to provide leadership, product and architecture guidance to their development team and help this startup expand their personalized video business. In my time there, I was able to unify a jumble of internal tools behind a secure and documented public REST API and unified UX as a turnkey product. I then architected an ad server and laid the groundwork for expansion into new lines of business and better positioned to approach potential investors.
- Directly managed a team of three developers and one systems administrator.
- Introduced a lightweight Agile process and acted as both Scrum Master and Product Owner to the team.
- Drove the company product roadmap and set long term strategic goals to open new lines of business.
- Oversaw the unification of a diverse set of tools and utilities into a concise product, including incremental re-architecting of parts of the system where needed.
- Spearheaded an effort to open a powerful REST API to customers.
- Architected a demand-side ad server to place ads directly on sites and programmatically through Adobe and other ad servers
- Explained and monitored complex architectural refactors to developers via UML database, class, package and sequence diagrams, regular meetings, 1:1 coaching and code reviews.
Technical Product Manager, Video Platforms
June 2017 – September 2018, Toronto
As Technical Product Manager, I oversaw the development and deployment of a new HTML 5 video player to replace Flash across all of Bell Media’s sites, including Crave TV, TSN, RDS, CTV, CTV News, Discovery, Space, The Comedy Network, Much Music, Bravo, MTV USA, Canal Vie, VRAK, The Movie Network and SuperÉcran. Under my watch, the project overcame initial difficulties and was completed on time and on budget resulting in an 18% increase in video views, reducing video load times from over 10 seconds to under 2 seconds, and bumping advertising revenue accordingly. I also managed the development of player code for native iOS and Android apps for most of the above sites, drove the Agile transformation of the dev team, managed a politically charged analytics refactoring, built solid relationships with all internal and external stakeholders, and left the company with a solid video platform roadmap.
- Drove the HTML5, iOS and Android video product strategy and roadmap for all of Bell Media
- Defined video functionality and UX per platform based on data driven decisions to drive user engagement for Bell customers and demonstrate business value for our stakeholders
- Provided technical leadership and recommendations to various teams across the company
- Lead sprint planning, grooming, review and retrospectives with the development team and maintain the product backlog
- Hosted bi-weekly meetings with product owners to discuss the video roadmap, and gain feedback, insights and suggestions on customer needs, including:
- Entertainment: CTV, Discovery, Space, The Comedy Network, Much, Bravo, MTV, Canal Vie, VRAK
- News: CTV News, BNN & CP24
- Crave TV
- Sports: TSN & RDS
- The Movie Network & SuperÉcran
- Developed and manage relationships with various internal stakeholders including: advertising, analytics, revenue management, finance, project management, engineering
- Leverage A/B testing and analytics to inform product development decision
- Master of Agile development and understand when to apply waterfall methods to capture and deliver requirements
- Build relationships with vendors and third parties
- Keep up to date with industry trends and adjust the product roadmap as needed
Technical Account Manager / Client Integration Engineer
Comcast Technology Solutions
December 2012 - February 2017 , Remote
As Technical Account Manager, and later Client Integration Engineer, I was the primary technical point of contact for new and existing Comcast customers. Initially juggling many customers including Miramax, the CBC, Corus Entertainment, Interactive One, and Defy Media/Alloy Digital and CBS Interactive, I ended time at Comcast working exclusively with NBC Universal in NYC. I oversaw the integration and implementation of a diverse and complex suite of products, including our video CMS, transcoding services, video players with diverse advertising and analytics plugins, e-commerce offerings and DRM solutions for many of our customers. Additionally, I researched strategies to migrate new customers to our platform from competitor’s systems and ended up writing standardized migration software used by our entire team to perform many seamless content migrations, allowing for a smooth onboarding of new customers and a tighter sales cycle.
- NBC Universal
- CBS Interactive
- Corus Entertainment
- Interactive One
- Defy Media (Alloy Digital)
- Seamless project management through all phases of the customer relationship, coordinating with the customer, account manager, technical resources, and support personnel
- Communicating regularly with the customer to evaluate satisfaction and proactively identify upcoming needs
- Coordinating with technical personnel as needed to meet customer needs, while managing customer expectations to prevent overload or missed deadlines
- Formal routing of customer requests to engineering, sales or support as needed
- Communication to the customer regarding new features and releases of Comcast services
- Documentation of current customer practices
- Develop and code custom Groovy scripts according to the customers ingest requirements.
- Develop and code custom Java projects using Comcast API's to meet various customer application needs.
Independent Software Consultant
September 2000 - December 2012
- iOS Programming in Objective-C
- Android Programming
- Java Programming and Architecture